Thursday, August 2, 2018

Day 59

Day 59
I slept in a little later today, I may have had one too many sips of Jim Beam last night. The morning was cool and a heavy blanket of fog lay across the river. I struggled to make out my boat 40 feet away down the sand bar. I was in no rush today, I was camped just two miles above Cape Girardeau MO. Dad is driving up from Memphis to pick me up off the river. I will be going off river for the next 8 days or so for a family vacation. Each summer my Dad, sisters, brothers in laws, and my 6 nieces and nephews get together for a week of fun. I am excited to see everyone but know I will miss the river while I am gone. After the fog cleared I paddled across the river and down to the landing at the Cape. I was greeted by a nice mural painted on the flood wall by the old downtown as I paddled up. I pulled the canoe up the concrete ramp and started to unload. Using a Facebook group I found nice man who lives in town who is going to store my canoe and some gear at his house for me. I laid out my tent and rain fly to dry out from last nights heavy fog and dew and started to work cleaning mud and sand from the rest of my gear. After removing the sand from my tent I rolled it up happy knowing it would not be dirty or moldy when I returned to the river. Dad arrived shortly and we soon had the canoe and all gear loaded into the truck for transport to the storage location. I spotted a BBQ restaurant close by and we stepped inside for a bite of lunch. After a lunch of ribs and a rib eye sandwich we left to unload the canoe and gear. With my boat and gear tucked away it was time to start my vacation from my vacation. I am going to miss the river but it is not going anywhere while I am gone. While off river I hope to make a few posts about things I haven't talked much about so far like what I eat, load set up for the canoe, and other gear.

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading this blog for about a week now. I'm up to this date but can't wait to continue and get caught up. I'm not athletic by any means and I don't like water, to boot, but your blog has intrigued me so! I'd love to see a picture of your canoe loaded and packed. I simply can't imagine how you get all that you need inside a canoe! And thank you for picking up the trash. I live in Rankin Co., Mississippi and cross the Reservoir dam bridge several times a week. The trash down at the fishing spot on the Pearl River (the spot you mentioned that is in danger of being closed b/c people (!!!!) won't pick up after themselves and leave all their trash) is somewhat better than it was earlier this summer. Maybe someone is listening and heeding the warning. Time will tell. Anyway, be safe and enjoy the Mighty Mississippi!

    ReplyDelete