Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Day 60

Day 60
I enjoyed my family vacation but by 3 in the afternoon when I returned to the river I was ready to paddle. I pushed off from Cape G and headed downstream with a slight breeze blowing towards me. After 10 days off river I was mentally prepared to be back but I was unsure of how my body would react after the break. I had tweaked a muscle in my back a couple of days before and it was still very tight, I was hoping everything would work out for the best. I paddled downstream and after about a half a mile I crossed under the large bridge linking Missouri and Illinois. I picked up my phone to grab one last photo of Cape G back up river, as I twisted in my set my back popped from the bottom to the top releasing all the pent up tension. I felt great after wards and knew everything was going to be just fine. I paddled along at a slow pace, enjoying all the beauty the river had to offer. Around 7 I decided it was time to start looking for a camp site and notice a several mile long sandbar to my left. I decided to drift along the length of it taking in the start of the sunset and whatever else mother nature sent my direction. Midway down the sandbar I spotted a group of 30 to 40 white pelicans enjoying the sunset from the beautiful beach. It only took about 40 minutes to drift to the end of the sandbar and in addition to pelicans I saw eagles, several cranes, king fishers and wood ducks. After beaching the canoe I started a large fire and set up the tent. Next I started dinner and while it was finishing I put on my headlamp and went up the dark sandbar to gather more firewood. My headlamp quickly found the glowing eyes of a deer who had come out from the woods to drink. I quickly walked in her direction and with the light blinding her I was able to walk up within about 20 feet of her before she bolted into the short willows. Returning to camp I found the mosquitoes out in full force so I stood in the smoke from the fire and quickly ate my dinner of roast beef and mashed potatoes. After washing my cook pot I fled the smoke and mosquitoes for the safety of my tent. I made my bed and intended to read for a short time before going to sleep but sleep was the only thing my eyes found.

No comments:

Post a Comment