Saturday, July 21, 2018

Day 48

Day 48
I slept late in the soft bed with the air conditioner set on 60. I got up around 9 and walked to the boat to get the water jug and my many water bottles. I used the hose at the restaurant to fill everything up and wash off gear that was muddy from the storm two nights ago. I decided to wait until the restaurant opened at 11 to get lunch before paddling out. I had a salad, green beans, half a fried chicken and blackberry pie with ice cream. Last night I noticed I have dropped another 10 lbs or so in the last two weeks, weight I did not need to loose. I set off with a strong but confused wind, blowing hard from three direction but somehow always against my direction of travel. I have been encountering many of the silver asian carp that are in the river. When spooked they jump wildly and I had three land in the boat in the first couple of hours paddling. A friend has set up a meet with a group out of Big Muddy Adventures who are going to put me up and help try and to get me some media exposure to help with my fundraising for Wolf River Conservacny. I spent much of the day frighting with the wind and current while messaging with them. They help any long distance paddler who they can. I can tell they are confused by my slow pace. They knew where I was several days ago and assured me I would meet them in shorter time than I predicted. At mid afternoon I told them where I was and a few hours later they said I should be able to make it to X point by Y time and they could pick me up tonight. I declined and said I could not make that time table. I didn't tell them I had used several hours of my day picking up all kinds of trash. Twice I ran out of room for trash and paddled near large pleasure boats  knowing they would want me to stop and talk. I loved the look on their face when they asked if I needed anything and I said yes please take this nasty river goo covered trash to shore for me. They gladly helped me out. Around 6 I reached Alton IL just above Lock and Dam 26. I stopped at the marina and got a sandwich and a couple of beers. I asked some gentlemen if they knew anything about the Locks on dam 26. They said the strong storms from a few nights ago had driven barges into it and had damaged the doors.  They said 20 plus barges on each end were waiting to lock through. They said I would have to portage and suggested the Illinois side. I paddled the short distance to the large dam and went to shore. I found a nice paved bike trail running along the top of the levee. Walking the levee I discovered it would require a half mile walk in each direction to portage all 3 to 4 loads including the boat. I set up the tent and ate diner feeling down that tomorrow I only have 14 miles to travel and the portage stands in my way. As I eat my dinner I see the work boats going to shore and the very small holding lock next to main lock comes to life. They are running several barges into the holding lock and untieing them from the rest, next a small tug comes from the up stream end and pulls the barges through after the lock opens. They repeat this several times until the all the barges and the tug are tied back together up stream. I have decided in the morning I will call the lock master on the phone and see if he can sneak me through with the last barge of the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment