Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Day 51

Day 51
The morning got off to a slow start at the Big Muddy Kanoe house. I worked on some social media while Casey another long distance paddler readied his gear to return to the river. Around 10 Alyce, Casey and myself loaded his gear into the truck for the ride to the river and The Arch. We were able to pull directly onto the granite blocks that line the river banks in downtown St Louis and unload Tyler.  We took time to snap a few photos and gather a truck load of drift wood to take back to the Kanoe house. I was also messaging with a pair of paddlers who were coming into St Louis from the river later in the day. Back at the house, Muddy Mike and Tanner had returned from dropping off the canoes in Kansas City. I gladly turned communicating with the incoming paddlers over to Mike's care. Mike asked me if I wanted to go with him to the chain of rocks to pick up the incoming paddlers and swim the rapids. Many paddlers do not get the chance to paddle through the rapids because lower water levels make it impossible, but I was offered the chance to swim them too. We grabbed some life vests and headed over to the river. We meet long distance paddlers Sylvia and Tyson at the boat landing. They had already unloaded their boat and we all three listened as Muddy Mike pointed out and explained what the currents were doing. We formed a plan that involved Mike and I swimming out from shore and Tyson and Sylvia would follow in their canoe. Mike and I, wearing life vests, swam out above the rapids about 100 yards and with the help of Tyson watching from the bank, lined up on the area we wanted to pass through the rapids. The current was strong but I switched to the legs up and forward position as I approached the first large wave of water.  The next few moments were a rush of boiling water, head dunking waves and adrenaline. Safely through the rapids we swam into a large eddy that was running upstream back towards the landing. We were able to relax and watch Tyson and Sylvia as they paddled into the rapids. They did not get over as far as they needed to be and were shoved by the current into the correct area taking on some water in the process. Back at shore we shared a round of high fives, emptied the water from the canoe and loaded everything for the short drive to the kanoe house. On the ride back Mike asked me if I would stick around another day to help with a guided trip he had booked. He asked me to help paddle the large expedition canoe and help in preparing the shore dinner at the island.  After a round of quick showers we took a ride to the grocery store so Tyson and Sylvia could resupply. I bough a few more items to go with the leftovers from the night before. The back porch at the house was happening place with long distance paddlers, guides and a documentary film maker who stopped by to talk with everyone.  While I prepped a sausage and cheese platter and a black bean and corn salsa everyone pitched in to help move some picnic tables, unload the drift wood and start a fire. We enjoyed a nice meal around the fire before everyone drifted off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment