Saturday, July 7, 2018

Days 30 and 31


Day 30 and 31
I left Genoa mid morning headed towards Lansing and the water slide. I covered about 8 miles and spotted the large sand island that was rumored to hold the water slide. As I rounded the corner and paddled along the length of the island I saw many boats tired to the shore and a large group of people standing in the water. Reaching a break in the boats I was able to see two water slides of the slip and slide type built into the large sand dune. Several people called me over and invited me to try the slide. I should have noted that it was odd no one was using the one slide that had water running down it. I quickly put to shore, grabbed a inter tube and headed towards the top of the slide. When I made what i thought was the top of the dune I saw it was only the halfway mark, each slide was over 200 feet long. I asked a group of ladies for advice on the best best method and was told to get a running start and go down head first on the tube. I took off running and hit the slide at full speed, I quickly cleared the first half and my speed increased as I took the first drop, within seconds I realized I was going way to fast for the hard turn ahead and braced for impact. Reaching the curve I easily flew over the side and received a face full of sand and the removal of some extra skin on my leg for my efforts. I got up dazed and ready for another try. It took me two more attempts to get to the water without sailing over the curve. I was offered cheers and a beer after successfully making it down. The largest part of the group was quickly headed home but not before introducing me to the family responsible for building and operating the slide. I was welcomed to their sand bar camp with open arms. The rest of the day was passed welcoming new boat loads of people to the sandbar and encouraging them to try to the slide. I found out the slides were very safe for young kids but anyone over about 100 pounds had better watch the curves. I decided to spend the night and the next day, July 4th relaxing and enjoying the slide and my new found river friends





The day of the 4th was busy with the family running the slide as well as running two boats to town and back non stop so other people could enjoy the fun. They worked hard all day keeping the slides running and repairing any holes in the plastic. I enjoyed learning how the slides were constructed and maintained. About 4 in the afternoon a rain storm moved into the area running almost everyone off the island. I retired to my tent for a nap while the rain fell for several hours. After the rain passed we picked up any trash left by the day guests and ate dinner. After dark the town of Lansing less than 2 miles away had a fireworks show that was visible from my seat on the sand bar. It was a very enjoyable 4th of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment