Saturday, June 16, 2018

Day 12

Day 12

While we slept a small line of rain passed over but not the larger front we had been hearing about for the last few days. Joe and I were on the water early, battling the wind and watching the darkening sky. We made steady progress for almost 3 hours before the winds began to swirl and the skys darkened. Shawn and I tried to make a quick check of the radar while the winds pushed our boats up and down the river. With no cell service we put to shore at carry in access point and threw up the tents just moments before the rolling thunder and rain were on us. I had a few snacks and was soon napping soundly despite the high winds, rain and crack nearby of lightening.  After what seemed like only a few moments I was awakened by Shawn, who declared it as time to move out. A quick check of the time showed we had slept for about 3 hours. I am not someone you want to wake from a nap, and the thick mosquitoes and muggy heat did nothing to improve my mood. Shawn quickly paddled down stream while I battled the blood suckers and emptied a large amount of rain water from my canoe. Soon enough I caught up with Joe who was also not in the best mood. Later that night he summed up the rest of the day by saying, happy, sad, moody, or tired when the sun shines we paddle.


We paddled on down stream, battling winds and bad attitudes, simply making the 25 miles. Having lost several hours to the storm we paddled till after sunset making camp at another boat ramp. The ramp had a large gravel parking lot so was free of most mosquitoes. Not having to fight the buzzing blood suckers we sat up rather late game planning for the day of really bad weather that was coming tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment