Monday, June 11, 2018

Day 6

Day 6
I woke up at 4:30 to a sky that was already showing color from the coming sun, piled my gear into the boat and headed across the now smooth Cass Lake. Reaching the other side I guided my canoe over the rock spillover dam and down into the current below. I was hoping to catch Joe and Shawn before they made the next big lake, Lake Winnibigoshish. Lake Winnibigoshish is the third largest inland body of water in the state. The shortest crossing is 16 miles, the state provided map strongly suggests taking a portage around the lake. I paddled hard for 13 miles in hopes of catching the guys but when I arrived at Becker's Resort I had missed them by about 30 minutes. The nice people running the resort told me the guys were going to cross the lake. I asked about getting a portage ride around the lake and was informed it wasn't a problem and that I could hang out, take a shower, and do laundry. I gladly spent most of the afternoon taking them up on the offer. A resort employee Mike gave me and the canoe a ride around the lake and dropped me off at the spillway. Finally having some cell service I learned Joe had almost completed the crossing and Shawn was making his way around the edge of the lake. Joe soon made it over the dam and Shawn pulled into a resort part way and would continue in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment