Monday, June 11, 2018

Day 5

Day 5
The map for the day showed we had a small section of rapids, a few small lakes then big Lake Cass it was going to an interesting day for sure. The section of rapids turned out to be nothing more than a section of very shallow fast water, getting through was more like a game of bump and grind than the fun ride we were looking for. The next section was again in the marsh broken by small lakes with the odd bluff raising above the surrounding marsh. Around mid morning we arrived at Cass Lake, our biggest lake crossing so far at 9 miles with Star Island about 3/4 of the way. We paddled onto the lake with small waves and a 10 mph head wind. The crossing was going well enough for the first 3/4 till we reached Star Island, I looked around and all the big power boats were getting off the water, the waves on the other side of the island were a mass of 4 ft waves and 20+ mph winds. I decided to stay put on Star Island wait for the wind and waves to settle down before continuing. Joe and Shawn plowed on across the lake in their kayaks. I spent the afternoon eating, reading and napping. Late afternoon I decided the wind was not going to let up and made my way along the shore in a several fruitless hours hunting for the campsite marked on my map. Having no luck finding the campsite I set up my tent on the shoreline and went to bed at 5 planning to get up at 4:30 AM and complete the crossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment