Thursday, September 6, 2018

Day 75

It was pasted mid day as I loaded all my gear back into the canoe and said goodbye to family. It was well past ready to be back out on the river. I have to admit the the extended periods of time isolated on river have made social interactions and shopping somewhat awkward. I am used to doing whatever I pleased, whenever pleased, within the few options the river gives me. Having to work with others and having an seemingly unlimited number of options was somewhat overwhelming. It is a feeling I remembered having towards the end of my AT thru hike. I gladly pushed out into the Yazoo river and paddled down the mile to the Mississippi. The sky was blue with a few clouds and loads of sunshine. After paddling under the two bridges spanning the river I was greeting with a long broad section of river, views over 8 miles or more, long and wide white sand beaches and waving banks of willow trees, beautiful beyond words. I quickly fell into an easy paddling pace and picked up fifteen miles including many great views. About an hour before sunset I paddled over to a sand beach lined with willows. I found a sheltered area up the bank inside the line of willows and set up the tent. I started a dinner of noddles with canned roast beef added, and took quick river bath before sitting down to dinner. With the night setting in around me, I enjoyed dinner while watching my fire and lightening across the river 20 miles away from me. After dinner I could hear a storm building behind me and settled into my tent to work on the blog while rain began. It was a great first afternoon back on river. I hope to make Natchez and the famous Under the Hill area along the riverfront Saturday afternoon and catch some football.

No comments:

Post a Comment