Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Day 87

I set the alarm for 4:30 and was up before it went off. It was still dark outside but the lights from all the factories and docks made seeing the river and everything on it very easy. I had noticed the last few days when I woke up between 3 and 4 AM I saw no traffic on the river. I turned on the VHF radio and heard no traffic for the firs half hour. When someone did come on they couldn't find anyone to answer their transmission. Around 5:30 I started to see the work tugs firing up engines and deck hands going through ropes and tools. Around 6 some of the more motivated tugs were moving into position but not yet doing any work. I had my head lamp on and a few of them placed their spot light on me as they sat in the wheel house drinking coffee and chatting on the radio. I loved watching the sun come up over the normally busy river, the water was smooth and making good time was easy. At 6:30 on the dot it was like a starting gun was fired as everyone went to work. I had several tug boats and work boats crews drive near the canoe and ask for pictures. Several said they had heard there was a guy in a canoe coming and to keep an eye out. I was given a few bottles of cold water and many well wishes. Around mid morning I was surprised by a P 51 mustang and a Hellcat fighter that came zipping along about 150 feet over the river. They banked up and had a mock dogfight before making another low pass over the river. Moments later I saw a B 29 bomber fly by followed by two F 16 fighters. A interesting break from the normal river traffic. At 10 I stopped under the 310 bridge to check the map and rivergator, I was excited to see I only had about 10 miles or two hours to reach Kenner just north of New Orleans. My daily mileage from here on is somewhat set as the camping spots till I reach below New Orleans are very few. I had paddled the West bank as usual but Kenner was on the East requiring me to cross the busy shipping lane.  I paddled into the shadow of a anchored ocean going freighter to wait for a gap. I was glad the shade was there because I had to wait about 45 minutes before I was able to safely cross. I landed at the crumbling boardwalk and prepared to walk into the city. I stashed the canoe in some tall weeds and my pack and valuables under a willow tree. With the empty water can on my back I walked over the levee and into downtown. I had a wonderful lunch while enjoying the A/C and recharging my computer. With the long lunch complete I walked to the riverside park and sat in the shade working on social media. It is 4 now and the early start is catching up with me, I am ready for bed but also super excited to paddle into and out of New Orleans tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment