Saturday, September 15, 2018

Day 84

The sun came up over tiger stadium with a fierce heat this morning. I was dripping before I had the boat loaded. I slept well despite the fact the harbor was full of traffic all night. The large ships that had been taking grain on all night set off back down the river just before me. All the barge traffic cleared the channel to make way for the big ships and I paddled out right behind them. South of the city the river bank went back to large trees, muddy banks and wild appearances. I could see the water had gone up over a foot while I was sleeping last night. I found some good runs of current and no barge traffic allowing me to make some easy miles. As the miles rolled by the sun moved higher in the sky and began to try and force me into the shade. Just after noon I completed my fourth liter of water and paddled onto the ferry landing at Plaqueine. I was badly in need of drinking water so I walked over the levee and into town. I walked about a half mile to a taco bell and slumped into a chair trying and cool off. My weather app was reading a heat index of 107. I ordered a few tacos and drank 47 large Gatorades over the next hour. Feeling closer to human I walked over to a local meat market were they let me fill up the 6 gallon water jug. Based off the short walk back to the ferry landing I knew I could tolerate more than about 45 minutes in the direct sun on the open river. I sat and read for about an hour before I paddled off into the cloudless sky. I paddled a steady pace for 30 minutes and drank a liter of water, I repeated this twice more before finally spotting some shade.I was beat down by the heat and sun needing a serious break. It came in the form of a large line of storms clouds drifting up from the Gulf.  While I didn't get but a few rain drops I knew the storm was going to blow up soon. I paddled through a horseshoe shaped curve and was greeted by the sight of the storm dumping rain four miles up river. I set up camp and made dinner before being chased into the tent by another strong storm. I did get the chance to ring out and hang up my paddling pants and shirt. I and was glad it rained hard and long enough to rinse them with rain water. Many people say this part of the river is no good to paddle because of all of the industrial chemical plants. I paddled all day, past many huge factories but the tree lined banks blocked them almost completely from view. The large smoke stacks and docks were the only sign of the factories inland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment