Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Day 90

Early this morning a flash thunderstorm rolled over the tent soaking me and my gear before I could get the rain fly on. I took it as a sign to get up and start paddling. The calm of the early morning quickly gave way to a hot and windy afternoon. The river became more active with shipping, commercial fisherman and recreational anglers as I paddled closer to the head of passes. I stopped shortly before noon and enjoyed lunch on a small sandy beach tucked into the marsh. After lunch I could clearly see the head of passes down river, big waves and lots of boat traffic crossing back and forth. As I was trying to figure out the best line of approached a crabbing boat pulled up along side the canoe. The crew were excited to meet me and showered the canoe with gifts of Powerade, water, and snacks. Brett the captain made sure I put his number in my phone after giving me a good description of what lay downriver. I was filled with excitement as the mile markers counted down the last couple of miles. A few hundred yards before the head of passes I came across Pilot Town. It is an outpost of buildings and docks that supply river pilots to incoming ships. All commerical ships coming up river must have a pilot. I was amazed as I watched the small fast boats pull along side the large moving freighters, down would drop a ladder and the pilot would climb up onto the moving ship. Coming to the opening at head of passes I paddled hard for the large platform and marker representing mile zero of the river. The waves and current tossed the canoe as I tied off to the rough timbered platform and climbed up. The platform was about fifteen feet tall and I was able to enjoy the 360 degree view at mile zero. Back in the canoe I paddled slowly down South Pass towards Port Eads. For about 8 miles I could not see anything but the tall reeds lining the bank. I was starting to worry I was paddling out to nowhere. Finally I could see the lighthouse at Port Eads miles down the pass. I was getting very tired as I paddled the last leg beyond Port Eads High Adventure Marina and out to the Gulf. As I rounded the last bend I was finally greeted with open water, no more land to paddle towards! I floated in the canoe enjoying a feeling of accomplishment and taking some photos. Tired but happy I paddled back to the marina and was greeted by the staff. My mom had booked me a room and told them all about my trip. The staff shared boiled crabs and shrimp with me. We stood on the balcony, throwing the scraps to a alligator below us and watched the sunset. I was able to celebrate with a hot shower, a good meal, and cold beer. I also enjoyed meeting some fisherman that were staying the night. The next day I wasn't feeling lucky on getting a ride back so I called Captain Brett of the Delta Force crab boat. It was a unique and fun ride back to shore on the crab boat. The crew showed me how they run the traps and package the crabs. I had a friend pick me up for the ride back to Jackson. It has been a wonderful adventure, but as these things tend to be it was an anticlimactic end. Your working towards the goal for months and then in one moment it is complete. I encourage people to take as much time as you can when making such an adventure, it is the memories of all the days spent working towards the goal that are the best part. I want to thank everyone who has supported my along the way. If you have enjoyed this blog I encourage you to please make a donation to Wolf River Conservancy so natural treasures like this river can be wild and litter free for the future enjoyment of others.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry it's over with, for you and for me. I have enjoyed your blog tremendously. I emailed Brian Broom yesterday to see if he'd heard from you b/c you hadn't updated the blog recently. I had no clue you were home.

    I'm going to make that contribution to Wolf River Conservancy and wait, with great anticipation, your next adventure! Please blog about it, whatever it is! God bless you and yours!
    Geri Richie

    ReplyDelete