Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Day 88

Up and on the water at 4:30. Even though I couldn't see perfectly  I could tell by the way the canoe was handling that I had some good current to work with today. I had been hoping for a week plus that raising water levels would bring better current. I have given up trying to figure out why the water in this river does the things it does. Scientists using the most powerful computers available and combining all we know can not predict what a large river like this will do much less a guy like me. The sky was slightly overcast and the sun came up as a red ball in the sky, not able to unleash its full strength till mid morning. During the overcast morning I was able to see several hundred water birds of all types, seagulls, flights of white pelican, wood ducks, blue and green teal, blue and white herons and several eagles. I was super excited about paddling the river through New Orleans. I have spent a good deal of time there and made many happy memories. One of my favorite memories is of a time from my early twenties. I was working on a shrimp boat down in south central Louisiana and we were returning to Mississippi were the boat was based. It was night time as we passed through New Orleans and I was in awe as we passed the big ships in the 65 foot wood hulled shrimp boat. The captain told me to climb the tall outrigger and sit on the round disc on top and wait for instructions. Sitting high over the river enjoying the view I was confused as to what task I could do from forty feet above the deck. Captain Timmy shouted "look left and enjoy". Facing the left bank I enjoyed as the river walk, Jackson Square and St Louis cathedral  bathed in night lights passed below me. Today as I rounded the corner, paddling past the old power generation plant north of the river walk I was given a treat. The Port of New Orleans was dredging near the cruise terminal downstream blocking off half the river to ship and barge traffic. I was able to paddle around the discharge pipe at mid river and then drift with the current enjoying as my favorite 2 miles of river front unfolded. Reaching the Jackson Square I paddled over to the bank, before I could get out of the canoe I was being hustled for protection money for the canoe. I not so nicely told the man to move along. I quickly covered the distance to the closest shop in the French Quarter Market. i bought a praline and some cold drinks. I was walking back to the canoe when a man stopped me and ask if I was the paddler? I figured he was going to tell me my canoe was being stolen but he was actually another long distance paddler. Park was from Greenville Ms and had recently joined two paddlers who were finishing a trip. His wife had picked him up the day before. We took a few photos and I paddled on out. The sun was really starting to beat down on me when I felt slight breeze developing. After no wind for a week, the breeze was enough to allow me to paddle during the second part of the day. Ten miles south of New Orleans the industrial plants and docks along the bank give way to mostly willows and cottonwoods. About three I stopped at the Scarsdale ferry crossing to visit the country store located there. I enjoyed some chicken tenders, fires and more cold powerade. Just before sundown I found a  pipeline crossing that had been sprayed and cut recently and set up camp. I am 64 miles from the end of the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment